Friday, December 30, 2011

Bring on 2012!

The Herndons are ready for a new year. 2011 had its ups and downs for us, but anyone that knows me well would know I'm ready to bring this year to a close and move on. This year has been tough on us in just about any way possible, but we survived.

The way we started the New Year was just about how the rest of the year continued. Brandon had a stomach bug that had already hit Caroline, Summer, and me and we welcomed 2011 while Brandon hurled alone in our bedroom and I cared for our kids alone. Foreshadowing for a year with an MBA student? I think so.... On the bright side we had just learned that Brandon was accepted into one of the best MBA programs in the country at Duke University. I personally think my husband is brilliant, but he joked that he wanted to pay his tuition as soon as possible before Duke realized they made a mistake in his acceptance.

We tried to keep the kids busy. Caroline got to try out some new sports. She played T-ball and tennis for the first time, and she began violin lessons. Summer took a few classes at the Apex community center, and started her first year in preschool at Salem Baptist on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Bella keeps herself busy all on her own. This is the year she met all of her first year milestones. She learned to crawl, then walk, to feed herself, and say a few words. My easy baby has turned into quite a wild woman in the last 12 months.

I would say the highlight of the year was taking our kids to Disney World for a week. We rented a private home 2 miles from the park. My Dad was able to stay with us for the first 2 nights to get us settled in and help us learn how to maneuver 3 children through miles of attractions. Caroline rode every ride she was tall enough for (which only didn't include about 2). Summer fell in love with Mickey and Minnie, and Bella was just happy that if she wasn't being constantly pushed around in a stroller than someone was holding her. The girls had a ball and Brandon and I came home exhausted, but with memories that will stay with us forever.

The return from our trip was the start of the downhill spiral of 2011. Bella was running a very high fever so after a 10 hour car ride I got to make my first trip to the ER after 6 years of being a mom. After waiting for 2 hours with a sick baby they sent me home with a dose of motrin and a $800 bill. In retrospect the bill was not an issue since this was not our only visit to the hospital this year. Summer got very sick, Caroline had to have pencil lead removed from her face, and I had to have my gallbladder removed (among other things).

Two weeks later the real fun began. Brandon received his first fedex packet of books from the Duke MBA program. His pre-reading began and life hasn't been the same since. The 2nd half of 2011 has mostly involved Brandon's nose being in a book and me alone with 3 children. We have found a few moments here and there to spend together, but I do miss my husband. The program has taught us both a lot about ourselves. We have had to push ourselves so far beyond our comfort zones that we had no idea the things that we are capable of. I am way more than just a stay-at-home mom that cooks and cleans, and can multi-task like no body's business. Brandon has learned that he really does have every right to attend a top university and has surprised a lot of people (including himself) by how well he can hang and excel with the country's top professionals in school.

So here we are, hours away from 2011 being behind us. In just writing this blog I've realized the year hasn't been all bad. We've had some pretty good times, and learned some great lessons, but it's been tough and I'm ready to look ahead. Let's be honest, 2012 isn't going to be a piece of cake. Brandon still has another 12 months of school. I am going to begin work for the first time in almost 3 years. And the girls aren't exactly going to start raising themselves. I know that this next year will have its challenges as well, but 2012 is the light at the end of the tunnel, and I'm so ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment