Monday, August 1, 2011

Duke Weekend and a recovering Mom

This weekend I was lucky enough to tag along with Brandon while he was on campus for classes at Duke. It was a great time meeting some of the other partners that were there supporting the students in their family and talking with others that I had already met at another social or two. It was a small taste of what the students really goes through after a full week of work and then still having to continue on strong through the weekend.

Friday we had to be up early so we had time to pack and be on campus before Brandon's (and my) first class. I had a hard time sleeping thinking about how all the girls did at each place we had dropped them off the night before that by the time the alarm went off I jumped out of bed and was ready to go. We made it to campus with plenty of time to check into our room and have breakfast with some of the other students. I listened with Brandon to the Ambassador of the UN speak (don't ask me what about) and then headed to my own classroom with the other partners. We had a great time talking with one another and learning more about the program and the school. I had the chance to tour the Duke chapel before dinner. It was a great tour. Did you know that if you would like to be married there you 1. have a have a tie to Duke as being a student or have a family member on staff, 2. have to be there the exact day 1 year prior to the day you would like to be married, and 3. It is first come, first serve, so yes, could possibly need to campout. If you thought camping out for basketball tickets was bad with a bunch of other kids drinking beer and planning on going to the game with you, can you imagine camping out with a bunch of bridezillas trying to outwit you for the their timeslot?! That evening was the part I was looking forward to the most since it was a cocktail party and dinner with my husband. Although he had to get pulled away for a team meeting an hour into it that lasted 3.5 hours and passed my bedtime it was still nice to be among adults.

Saturday on campus was pretty much the same. Great food, great conversation, and plenty of time to just sit and listen to the great faculty of Duke. The second class was over I'm sure most rush home to relax and unwind. Brandon and I finally rounded up all our kids and returned home by 9:30 PM only to pass out the second after we got all of them in the bed.

Sunday, finally the first day in a long while where Brandon had no studying to do, no team meetings, no work. We had big plans for the day, but most were wiped out by the rainy day. We were both introduced back into life with 3 children that had been spoiled for 2 days straight and we were stuck in the house. I was only away from them for a little less than 48 hours, but it was like I forgot how to handle the things that seemed so simple to me before. Brandon and I always say we have to reprogram our children when we get them back from the grandparents, but I had to be reprogrammed myself. I had been so focused on school, making friends, and getting done what I needed to do while on campus that everything else had escaped me. It was strange to feel overwhelmed and not know where to start in getting things done. It made me think about how Brandon has to do it every day. His life is not all about the Herndon women all of the time. He works, he studies, and he is building a great network to advance his career. I can't imagine what it must feel like to walk in on our crazy life each day at 6 PM. It makes me remember how difficult it was to have a career and children. Sure the nonstop action of being a stay-at-home mom is tough, but it is nothing compared to a full-time job, followed by being a full-time mommy, chores still needing to be done, and errands handled during the evenings and on the weekend. My hats go off to those that make it work for their family!

No comments:

Post a Comment