Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Weighty Issue

Most know that I had to have my gallbladder removed at the end of July. The weekend before it happened Brandon was at school so I took the girls out on the town and we just ate where the wind took us. Of course that mostly meant pizza and chicken nuggets. By the time Brandon got home I was already feeling sick to my stomach from all the junk I had consumed. In the middle of the night on Sunday I woke up with a terrible pain in my stomach. I figured it was from my poor diet and I was paying for it now. I tried everything I could think of to make the pain go away. Finally I fell asleep in the bathtub (scary!), so I went to bed with a heating pad on my stomach for the next 2 nights. Brandon convinced me to go to the doctor on Tuesday afternoon. They fit me in right away and started blood tests. By Wednesday I was having an ultrasound, and Thursday I was on the operating table. It all happened so quickly, but it was an entire week of no workouts and eating whatever sounded like it wouldn't hurt. The recovery was also quick; by the following Thursday I was released by the doctor to get back to my normal routine.

Unfortunately the damage had already been done. During this week "off" we celebrated Caroline's 6th birthday. We had a cooking party and made all kinds of yummy kid-friendly foods. I made each girl an individual cake, 3 batches of different kinds of icing and homemade fondant. I, of course, had to try everything and developed a craving for these sweets well after the party was over. Do you ever not buy things knowing you'll eat them if they are in the house? I was surrounded by all the goodies I had made and couldn't help myself each evening. When all was said and done I ended up gaining 8 pounds in 3 weeks. Pretty sad considering I was still working out the last one, so the problem was obviously caused by the things I chose to put in my mouth.

My pants starting feeling a little snug so I decided it was time to buckle down and get back to my diet. I knew if I just kept track of what I ate and continued to work out the way I should I would be back down and on my way to my goal weight in no time. I lost a few pounds, but then found myself snacking too much in the evenings. I could make it all day on track and then blow it in the last hour or two. What happened to my self-control?!

I realized in the evenings I used to sit and talk with Brandon. We may watch a show or play a game and would always head to bed at 10 PM if not a little sooner. My mouth was busy because I was chatting away not on my treat of choice. Now I'm on my own. I sit and watch TV or work on a project and have a snack, or two, or three. I try my best to stay up until Brandon is done with his work and that just gives me more time for snacking. I have to make a change or I'm going to be up 50 pounds before Brandon finishes his MBA. For now on I'm limiting myself to one snack in the evenings and if I want more I'll just send myself to bed. I could use the sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment