Thursday, April 25, 2013

Almost Home

We have been down in Charlotte for a little over a month now.  It has been so nice to be together and we've had a lot of fun.  Brandon is completely in love with his new job and the new commute has not worn on us yet.  The girls have had a blast with all the fun things to do outside.  They love fishing right at the backdoor.  We go on goose hunts in the boat, and the big girls have even done a little swimming in the lake.  The girls don't have any friends here so they have become best friends among themselves.  It seems like a 2 month long vacation, and it kind of is.  The thing about a vacation is at the end of it you've had a great time and you don't want it to end, but it's nice to go home.

I'm trying to keep my usual schedule.  We spend the morning running errands and exercise.  Lunch is at home or we try to meet Brandon once a week near his office downtown.  The afternoon is for little girls' naps and I try to clean the house and get organized, we try to have dinner ready and everything done before Daddy walks in the door so we have the evening available for family fun.

Despite all this I still don't feel settled.  I don't have any own kitchen stuff, I'm not cleaning my own furniture,  and I have to use my GPS everyday to figure out where I'm going.  My husband is having the time of his life and doesn't share in my unsettled state.  I was beginning to think I was crazy until last night Caroline had to be disciplined for the millionth time that day.  We couldn't understand what was turning our little girl into the crazy person that was currently in our home.  Brandon sat down with her that evening to have a heart to heart.  She said she was struggling being away from home as well.  She missed her friends, her school, and her room.  I've been so busy trying to keep myself on track with this move that I wasn't noticing the effects of turning my kids' lives completely upside down was having on them.

This morning all the girls and I sat down together and made a countdown chain to count the days until we move into our new home.  We drew pictures of all the things we were excited for, our new rooms (my new kitchen!), our new dog, the girls' new schools, and having all of our things that we loved before in our new home!



We've all decided to enjoy the time we have left here at the lake house and treat it like a vacation because it's not going to last forever.  But boy, is home ever going to be sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment